If only gift giving could be as simple as picking something from the "under $30" section of Heart of the Home. Oh, wait. It can! Here at Heart of the Home Edmonton, we’ve curated a small collection of items, all under $30, that will please everyone from the novice baker, to the life-long chef. If you’re looking for even more ideas, come by the store and check out our front shelves where we’ve sorted some of our favourite gifts to suit all price-points and budgets. It’s holiday shopping made easy AND local!
1. Picnic in style with Kikkerland Stackable Wine Glasses. The step and cup detach for easy, compact travel and sturdy nylon straps make for easy carrying.
Review: "Perfect for picnic or festival use, or in fact to take anywhere you want something sturdy but light and compact and you want to avoid disposable plastic glasses." - Anonymous
2. Escuminac Maple Syrup. This is a pure maple syrup; its aromatic profile brings to mind warm buttered brown sugar, date purée, English toffee and green anise. We carry all three gourmet maple syrup flavours: Extra Rare, Great Harvest and Late Harvest. They are 100% pure, organic, gluten free, vegan and made in Canada!
Review: 'I thought I'd give this a try was not disappointed at all. I made a pork rib roast with a macadamia nut stuffing with a maple syrup glaze using this maple syrup. The gravy was so good and paired beautifully with the dinner. And it is amazing on pancakes, waffles, and so much more. I almost just wanted to chug it back but that's probably wouldn't be the best use for it. But still tempting nonetheless. Highly recommended if you love maple syrup. Thinking about trying to make a maple syrup creme brulee with it and see how that turns out." - User
3. Moscow Mule Mugs. The Moscow Mule cocktail is traditionally served in a copper mug. The nickel and copper plated body helps to keep your drinks colder for longer, while the handle makes the mug easy to hold. Although the mug was originally dubbed for the Moscow Mule drink, it is suitable for any icy drink alcoholic or non-alcoholic, anything will do.
Review: "Found the Brilliant Moscow Mule Mug in the 20 oz. size and ordered it. The cup came and is beautifully crafted. The outside is copper and the inside is stainless steel. The packaging for the mug even came with the recipe for how to make that tasty Moscow Mule drink that I had at my friends party. I can't wait to go buy the ingredients and drink one myself next weekend." - Greg & Erica
4. Car and Camper salt and pepper shakers make a wonderful addition to anyone's table, especially during the holiday season!
5. Adventure Flask. A flask that is ready to accompany you on all of your adventures!
Review: "This flask is great. It holds a full 8 oz which is a generous amount to carry. It's pretty flat so it is easy to hold while pouring, but won't fit into a tiny evening bag. Choose the smaller size if that's what you carry. I would have preferred that it come with a small funnel to fill it with, but that didn't slow me down much, just not as convenient. It seems well made and I expect to have it for a number of years." - Anonymous
6. The flexible gooseneck Kikkerland Flexible Tablet Holder clips on to your desk with a super strong clamp and holds your tablet device for easy, hands-free viewing. Great for viewing photos/videos; video chat; cooking; travel and GPS; watching movies and TV; and more. Fits tablets 5.1" to 8" wide (not included).
7. Salt Spring kitchen Co hot sauce collection gift box. Salt Spring Kitchen Co. makes some of the best things to ever come out of a jar or a bottle. They offer handmade, small batch preserves and sauces to pair with cheese, charcuterie, & anything else you want to put them on.
Review: "My family has been enjoying Melanie's Jams and preserves as long as she's been on Salt Spring Island. Her Spicy Tomato Jam won me over, but I confess I buy it in threes and always try to keep one on hand for guests or as a gift." - Maggie O'Scalleigh
Christmas comes but once a year, so instead of stuffing stockings with things you’re loved ones will never use, these pint-sized gifts will be a welcome surprise!
1. Since 1985 Galerie au Chocolat has been producing fine chocolate products using the best available ingredients from around the world. Their chocolates use the finest Belgian couverture chocolates available to produce among the best chocolates you will ever taste.
Review: “I received a box as a Christmas present. Possibly one of the finest chocolate makers I've tried.” - Karen Zhou
2. Add fun to the dining table with Typhoon’s Rookie Stix, an easy to use chopstick!
Review: “I've been borrowing these from a coworker regularly for months, and I'm so happy I finally bought my own! I use them at my desk job for snacks that are typically finger-food. No mess on my fingers to get on my mouse or keyboard! Works great for cheetos, cut fruit chunks, bite sized veggie pieces with dip, and of course anything you would typically eat with chopsticks!” - Hilary Young
3. Add a little colour to any situation with Topi’s hilarious toilet paper rolls!
Review: "It was a great touch to the bathroom for the holidays. Everyone commented on my enthusiastic holiday spirit to the last detail. It is strong, not overly soft but not scratchy either.” - JanaJo
4. SugarSin Gourmet Cocktail Gummies. These unique, cocktail inspired gourmet gummies are infused with real sparkling wine, rose and gin, topped with sweet and sour sugary fizz. They're the perfect sweet for grown-ups and a great addition to a fancy cocktail.
Review: "[I had] been trying to get hold of some prosecco gummies for a while and finally managed to to find them. Can I just say they are absolutely amazing and I will definitely be buying more! Haven't tried the prosecco gummies yet but I'm sure they will be lovely too! - Annette Mealing
5. Say hello to Zoku's reusable stainless steel Pocket Straw. This small and lightweight straw telescopes for storage and easy transport on the go. It extends up to 9 inches and fits any glass size. Loophole for keyring on the carrying case and included cleaning brush makes it easy to bring with you anywhere and anytime. BPA and phthalate free.
Review: “Absolutely love this straw as it is compact, easy to carry with me, easy to clean and suitable for both hot & cold liquids because of the silicone top but most importantly is eliminating my need for single use straws!” - Alison
6. Russbe reusable BPA free snack and sandwich bags are the perfect solution for meals on the go. Their food grade plastic construction with reinforced seams and locking seals keep food fresh and prevent unwanted leaks. Russbe bags help reduce the number of disposable bags that are currently being dumped into landfills.
Review: "Really like these bags. Very sturdy, good closure and easy to wash. The smaller ones are a bit small but perfect for nuts, small crackers etc. I plan on buying another set soon." - Anonymous
7. Everyone knows someone who is naughty or nice. Next time show them by adding Zoku’s Naughty Or Nice Ice into their glass. This playful silicone ice mold comes in a set of eight—perfect for your next get together. Once frozen simply remove the legible word ice by inverting the silicone—no rinsing required. The bold word ice is specifically designed to fit into double old-fashioned glasses.
Here are the 6 best Eco-Friendly kitchen products as seen in the Tomato Magazine
Looking for the perfect sustainable gifts for kitchen lovers this Christmas? Going green in the kitchen doesn't have to be a difficult task. Here are some awesome products that will help the chef in your life reduce, reuse and recycle. BONUS, you can get them all right now at Heart of the Home.
1. Cover Blubber - $30
2. Full Circle Walnut Shell Scouring Pad - $7
3. Reusable Straws, Sillicon and Stainless Steel - $10-$22
4. Joseph Joseph Go Eat Cutlery Set - $25.50
5. Swedish Dish Cloths - $7
6. Stasher Bags - $13-$30
For more eco-friendly kitchen tips read about the 5 ways you can green-ify your kitchen.